Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Going to Extremes

Everyone knows that birth is a natural part of life and is a rite of passage for women. But most people do not realize how calculated, un-natural, and business-like having a baby is in modern America. Things like inducing labor for convenience, scheduled c-sections to accommodate schedules, and treating pregnancy like a grave illness instead of the natural process that it is has led our country to have the highest infant mortality rates of any industrialized county in the world. Not to mention that the number of c-sections is climbing higher and higher as doctors take away the ability to offer a woman a totally 100% natural childbirth.

Up until a few weeks ago I was going to have my 3rd c-section, scheduled on December 1st. Up until a few weeks ago, I went along with what my OB said, didn't question her decision on how I was going to have this new little girl, and although I had hoped to try for a VBA2C (vaginal birth after 2 c-sections) I blindly accepted her refusal to discuss it. Then I saw The Business of Being Born.



Words can't describe how much this movie has changed my outlook on my two previous c-sections and my expectations for this upcoming birth. All I know is that all pregnant women should see this movie, it is that good and makes that much of an impact. Many times during the movie I paused it to talk with Klint about what was going on, to just really think about how the movie was making me feel, and about what I could do about it for my future.

The conclusion that I came up with is that if I hadn't been induced for non-medical reasons with Gabby, way too early and before my body was ready, I wouldn't have had that first c-section that has led me down this road. And even though I have an OB who wouldn't let the "V" in VBA2C leave my mouth before cutting me off and giving me a stern "No",  no one can force me into another c-section if I can possible deliver normally.

So what is the plan now? Well I have an appointment with a midwife in an adjoining city who believes that birth is powerful, hard, and something that women CAN do without all the medical intervention that goes on in  maternity wards today. I don't know for sure if I am a candidate for a VBA2C, but if she listens to me and gives me concrete reasons as to why it is or isn't a good idea, that will be good enough for me.
My goal is to have a 100% natural waterbirth, in a calm environment, with as little medical intervention as possible.

I know that other women have done it, with more c-sections under their belt than me. Here is the difference between what happened with my previous births and what is going to happen. (Minus Klint in the tub or the home part... I can just imagine the cats meowing at me while trying to give birth!) My appointment in on Monday, I will keep you all posted! Keep your fingers crossed!


Cesarean vs. VBAC: A Dramatic Difference from Alexandra Orchard on Vimeo.

my siggy

2 comments:

Prasti said...

glad you are getting a second opinion. i have a friend who had a successful VBAC so it is possible! best wishes, connie.

Amy said...

Hoping for a safe and healthy delivery...the way YOU want it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails