Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apparently I am a Crunchy Mama!

Crunchy.... this is a new phrase for me that I have come across these last couple of months while surfing the blog-sphere and being on Baby Center. This is the definition I found of "Crunchy": 
Adjective. Used to describe persons who have adjusted or altered their lifestyle for environmental reasons. Crunchy persons tend to be politically strongly left-leaning and may be additionally but not exclusively categorized as vegetarians, vegans, eco-tarians, conservationists, environmentalists, neo-hippies, tree huggers, nature enthusiasts, etc. Also used to describe establishments where alternative foods and products are sold, i.e. natural food stores. Modified derivative of granola.
I knew that our family was a little bit left of the mainstream's approach to childrearing and such, but I guess I am "crunchier" than I knew.

I fully plan on baby-wearing Miss M, we are being very selective about what vaccines we are giving are kids, I will breastfeed Miss M for as long as she wants to, we prefer to buy our produce from local farms, I make my own cleaning products, and apparently I am the unschooling advocate on my Birth Club at Baby Center.... lol! I knew that my choice to have an all natural VBA2C was really left of mainstream as far as birth choices go, but I had no idea that making choices like these earned me a new title.

For me, there are plenty of other mamas out there who are way more crunchier, and all the more fabulous for it. My friend Melissa is the poster mom and prime example for me, I call her with any "crunchy" questions that I have and love the fact that she doesn't care about following the norms.

I am totally ok with this whole Crunchy thing, in fact for me it is a compliment.... bring on the granola and Birkenstocks!


Related Posts with Thumbnails