Thursday, April 1, 2010

Stamps Aren't Just for Scrapbooking Anymore!!!

     I feel like I am so lucky to be surrounded by great, smart, funny women who also have kindergarteners at Gabby's school. Everyday we wait for our little ones to get released from their teachers and have a wonderful time talking to each other and sharing tips and tricks to life. Since we are all from different walks of life, there is so much to learn from one another and right now I am going to share a really cool family activity that I learned about last night from my friend Heidi.

      While discussing activities that our Girl Scout Troop could do (did you know that I am a Daisy Leader?) Heidi mentioned an activity called Letterboxing which I have never heard of. Basically it is similar to Geocaching but minus the GPS and instead of trinkets it is a treasure hunt for stamps. This is the Wikipedia definition:
Letterboxing is an outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteeringart, and puzzle solving. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks) and distribute clues to finding the box in printed catalogs, on one of several web sites, or by word of mouth. Individual letterboxes usually contain a notebook and a rubber stamp. Finders make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp, either on their personal notebook or on a postcard, and leave an impression of their personal stamp on the letterbox's "visitors' book" or "logbook" — as proof of having found the box and letting subsequent letterboxers see who have visited. 
Apparently this has been going on since the 1800's!!!  For me it is super appealing because there is no GPS involved, there are tons in our area and when we travel we can still do it, and it is very family friendly. Sound like fun?? Here are some resources to help you get started:

How to Make Your Own Stamp   (if you don't want to buy one!)
AtlasQuest   (Where you find letterbox clues in your area and other places)


My goal is to make our family stamp this week since it is Spring Break here... I am trying to decide between something Buddhist and something having to do with our Vibram FiveFingers since it is an outdoors activity... or maybe I will make two stamps and see which one I like more!! Oh, and the photo above is what a page from your notebook would look like... cool huh???



1 comment:

soupygirl said...

That is super-cool and perfect for Girl Scouts!

I was a Brownie, but my sister was a Pixie, which later became Daisies. It was an experiment in doing a group for the younger girls. My mom made the uniforms--orange jumpers with felt frogs on the front that had giant googly eyes. We used to make fun of her for being a Pixy and not a Brownie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails