Saturday, December 11, 2010

We are Home!

Wow! What a crazy last couple of days!!! It is hard to believe that barely three days ago I not only had major surgery but got a wonderful. beautiful baby out of it! Here is Miss Moira Marie's birth story:

Even though I had planned on VBACing with this baby it turns out that she just wasn't engaged in my pelvis so my OB and I decided to go ahead with a c-section, which was fine with me. So on Tuesday morning, at 6am, Klint and I arrived at the hospital to get the ball rolling and meet our baby. The surgery was scheduled for 7:30am and everything looked like it was going to go as planned. I got my IV, the appropriate paperwork was signed, and I had been fasting since 10pm the previous evening. All that we needed to do was meet with the anesthesiologist.  But then a hiccup in the plans occurred.... apparently another expecting mommy needed an emergency c-section and they were going to have to bump my delivery to the early afternoon.... not good news for a hungry and anxious pregnant woman!

So Klint and I hung out in a room until the afternoon came and we were given the green light that at 1pm I was going to be rolled into the OR. Ahhhh! Crazy!! After the news came that everyone was all set to go things are a little blurry because of all the emotions going through me at the time.... I was scared of the spinal (I react REALLY badly to any kind of anesthesia), I was excited to finally meet the baby, and I was a little nervous about yet another surgery.

All in all, the surgery started at about 1pm and at exactly 1:30pm Miss Moira Marie Krebs was born into the world! I remember a LOT of pressure around my ribcage to pop her out... not the most pleasant feeling in the world, hearing her cry for the first time, and then the whole unpleasantness of the doc putting me back together. There were some moments where I thought I was going to be sick from all the pulling and tugging sensations, but thankfully Klint helped me stay calm and not pass out from everything. I don't know if I would have made it without his strength by my side. It was so nice knowing that as soon as Moira was weighed that Klint had her and she was with her daddy.

About 30 mins after they got Moira out I was stitched back up and was given the baby to hold while we went to the recovery room for a couple of hours. From there on I was taken to my post postpartum room where I stayed until I was discharged. There is absolutely nothing negative that I can say about any part of my hospital stay, from the nurses who took care of me to the supporting staff. Everyone was kind, compassionate, very skilled, and at no time did I ever feel like a burden or a pain. I was actually so happy with my care that I spoke with the head of nursing to tell her how much I enjoyed my stay and that every single nurse there had my complete gratitude.

So here we are, home, healthy, and recovering as well as can be expected. The baby is a dream in all aspects, she loves to sleep and nurse and rarely cries. I am getting around ok, although stairs are my enemy right now. =) A c-section is definitely not a walk in the park, no matter how fit you are, but thanks to staying active and having minimal weight gain I think that I am going to get back to normal faster than the usual.

Thank you to everyone who called, visited, and sent their well wishes to us, they were greatly appreciated!
siggy Smaller

3 comments:

Ina's 5 and our Native Homeschool Blog said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. What a perfect Christmas present.

Jennifer said...

she's so precious, connie! so glad to hear things are going well and speedy c-section recovery vibes heading your way!

Amy said...

What a roller coaster near the end...contractions for days for no VBA2C! I'm glad things went smoothly and your beautiful bundle has arrived!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails