Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Women know
The way to rear up children (to be just)
They know a simple, merry, tender knack
Of tying sashes, fitting baby shoes,
And stringing pretty words that make no sense,
And kissing full sense into empty words.
~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

I love being a mom, more than I ever thought I would. I love being able to fix hurts, calm fears, snuggle with a book, kiss boo boos, and receive kisses unconditionally. I enjoy teaching new things like how to properly pick up a kitten, fish, and dance the blues away. There is so much that goes into being a mom, and it does not consist of just having a baby. Any woman can do that, it takes so much more to be a mother.


I know first hand that not every woman who has kids is really a mother, and sometimes that breaks my heart. The news is so full of stories of kids being hurt by their mothers, it makes me run to my kids and hug them tight, as if I can shield them from all the pain and suffering. But that is another part of being a mom- to protect them when I can and to show them how to make the world a better place, to counteract all those people who hurt.


My kids are my greatest joy and sometimes I worry about what kind of world they are going to grow up in. But then I look at their faces, so smiling and innocent, and I know that there is hope in the world as long as there are mothers. Here are my favorite pictures of being a mother.
Enjoy and Happy Mother's Day!







Related Posts with Thumbnails