Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Importance of Fairy Tales

Lately I have been thinking a lot about fairy tales and their importance in a child's life. With me selling children's books, many of which contain classic fairy tales, I am re-reading many beloved stories such as Cinderella, Snow White, and Alice in Wonderland.

I really believe that there is a special place, an important place, in childhood for fairy tales. I know many people believe that fairy tales should not be taught to children because they are too scary, will confuse the child as to what is real, or that they are immorally wrong and go against religious beliefs. But what I think is that fairy tales help children understand how the world works, that evil does not win in the end, that the underdog can rise to the top if they believe they can, and that cheating does not pay.

I know that as parents we want to protect our children from the evils of the world, but the hard truth is that there are evils out there. Difficult decisions to make, battles to be won, and evil to conquer. What better place than in a story to introduce these concepts?


In an effort to keep the fanciful imagination alive in our home Klint and I decided that we are going to put up a fairy door in the house on Christmas Eve while the girls are asleep. A little door where the girls can leave notes, trinkets, and pennies along with their imagination. I imagine too that the Christmas Fairy (who will have to be named of course!) will also leave notes and bits of fairy magic in the house.  I am not scouring the web for a mini mailbox and some teeny numbers to go on the fairy's door. Here is a great little article about where to get some fairy supplies! This is where I shall be getting my door from, I can't wait to paint it and make it a one of a kind fairy door!

(EDIT: I now offer custom made fairy doors in my Etsy store here!! They are a wonderful addition for any space, even in little shops!)


(picture from Monkeytail & Wellington)

Related Posts with Thumbnails