Sunday, May 18, 2008

Surf's Up Sunday


Dance- Bailar- Danse- Ballo- танцулька- ダンス- Tanz- Dans- dança
“When you perform you are out of yourself-larger and more potent, more beautiful. You are for minutes heroic. This is power. This is glory on earth. And it is yours nightly.”

Ok, ok, ok... I know that I usually do Surf's Up on Saturday, but with all the dancing going on I got a little sidetracked. So here it goes, and in keeping with the new theme of my life- it is all about DANCE! Viva la dance!!!

First off I have to acknowledge a super tapper that I just discovered on YouTube- Tap Dance with Rod Howell. He is beyond fabulous and more importantly his instructional tap videos are easy to follow. He goes from beginner to intermediate with lots of combinations too. Just the thing this rusty hoofer needed to get the gears going again in tap! This is my favorite combination- try it out!

Next is an addiction of mine that occurs every summer- Fox Channel's
So You Think You Can Dance (SYTYCD)! Yay for another season of fabulous dancers, amazing choreography, and scathing critiques from judges. I love this show because it showcases true talent and gives dancers who have worked harder than hard a chance to show the world what they can do... I can't wait... here is a taste from last season- Lacey and Danny.

Since there are so many people out there that share my passion for dance it was all but impossible to choose just one blog that I like so here is a quick list of some great resources if you like to dance, watch dance, or wish you could dance:
A Time to Dance, African.Dance.Drum.Life!, Swan Lake Samba Girl, My Dance Place, and finally Dance Primer.

Next I want to share a great resource for clothing the dancer-
Discount Dance. I have ordered from here countless times and I am never disappointed. They have a great collection of shoes, costumes, and anything else that a dancer needs from extra taps to silicone disks to cover your goods under those sheer camisoles. Here are my new shoes since my old ones bit the dust after ten long years of love- the Bloch Neo Hybrid.


Finally I have to include the workout to end all workouts for dancers- the New York City Ballet Workout. This workout not only kicks dancer butt, it makes you want to work because you get so jealous staring at the cut bodies of the dancers demonstrating the moves. It is easy enough to follow if you are not classically trained, although you have to have some grace and ability. Knowing terms like battement, pas de bourree, and plie is helpful, pairing the video with a ballet primer would be a good idea if you have no idea what "Floor Barre" means. And "don't forget to breathe!".


I am sure that there will be more dance related posts in the future... for now I am just going to enjoy the fact that I looked, I leapt, I fell, and I landed in a place so much better than I had thought I could ever be!
Related Posts with Thumbnails